Clean Eating Macaroni and Cheese ? Say what ???
Chef Fabio Viviani said it right when he called Mac N Cheese America’s “comfort food.” We all know that this delicious dish, which is a staple in many households is probably not the healthiest of options, but boy it sure tastes good! Now that I follow a clean eating lifestyle, many of the the traditional Mac N Cheese recipes, including my own, were off the table ( awww man!)
What’s a girl to do with all that white pasta and the rather excessive amounts of dairy?
Yep. I was absolutely determined to find a way to “clean up” this household staple because it is one of my favorite recipes to make. Whenever we host parties or holiday dinners at our house, you can bet you will find this dish among the options. I’ve made it so many times that I practically have it memorized.
After some tweaking here and there, I was able to whip up this “cleaner eating” version of macaroni and cheese recipe. I say “cleaner” because there is still some dairy in this recipe, primarily in the cheddar cheese. Should you be having this for dinner every night ? Probably not. You know the rule, everything in moderation here.
Here’s what I love about this recipe:
- It tastes awesome
- It’s a healthier, lower-dairy alternative – no butter, eggs or multiple cheeses
- It beats the processed stuff that comes in a box any day. Honestly, I was never a fan to begin with. I will take homemade macaroni and cheese over Mac’ N Cheese in a box any day, any where, anytime.
- You can make this gluten free( see below recipe for details)
Allright, Chrissy I get it…gimme the recipe – sorry just trying to build the momentum..here you go 🙂
To make this gluten free:
- Substitute the whole wheat elbow macaroni with Tinkyada Brown Rice Elbow Macaroni or Ancient Grains Gluten Free Pasta
- Substitute whole wheat flour with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour or King Arthur’s MultiPurpose Gluten Free Flour
- Use gluten free bread when making your breadcrumb topping mix
- Use gluten-free cheese. I used Tillamook Medium Cheddar Cheese in this recipe
Obviously you can tell we really enjoy this dish…
So what do you think ? What other ways can you make clean eating Mac N Cheese ? Leave a comment below!
Note: There are affiliate disclosures in this post. At no cost to you, I receive a small commission for any purchases you may make from clicking on these links. Click here for my full disclosure policy.